Friday, September 17, 2010

Thank you Mom and Dad

So we are a couple weeks into the school year, and it has been a trip!! My 24 six year olds and I have our good days and our bad days, but it already seems to be flying by!! Everyday with my kids really gives me a chance to reflect on my own life and my own education. Now this is my second year in a Title 1 school, and I am amazed by the things I see from these kids every day.

Growing up, my mom was able to stay home. I realize more and more every day how much of a blessing this was. It makes me appreciate my mom so much for being there every day when I got home, and my dad for working so hard over the years so she would be able to do so. Because of this, I learned my letters. I learned my numbers. I learned how to read. I learned how to love to read. I learned how to treat others with respect. I learned how to listen. I learned how to count. I was always bathed and clean. We always had dinner on the table. I was able to tell someone about what I learned in school. My parents taught me how to pray. My parents hugged me. My parents told me they loved me. My parents made me know that I was loved and important.

Thank you Mom and Dad.

I guess when you are raised this way, you take for granted all the things that your parents have provided you with. I see these wonderful, sweet, innocent kids who are missing out on so much. Some of these kids only eat when they are fed by the school. Some of these kids don't even know the alphabet. Some of these kids don't come to school with a coat when it is cold outside.

I can be so frustrated with my kids during the day because they aren't listening, they have said a sware word, they have punched somebody, they have been yelling in the halls, etc... and at the end of the day all they want to do is to come and give me a hug (some more than one... or 5... haha). So many of them just want to feel loved and like they are important. It makes me so grateful for having parents that made me feel that way when I went home from school.

I was able to do a new client's lashes yesterday who is a special education teacher at the deaf and blind school. We had a lot to talk about, seeing how we both are so involved in education. She told me a story, and cried as she told it. I guess last week a 50 (or something) year old man was about to commit suicide. When he was about to end his life, his 3rd grade teacher's voice came into his head saying "you are a good boy," over and over again. Because of his 3rd grade teacher from 40+ years ago, this man still realized his life had value. It amazes me to realize how much of an impact I can have on these kids.

I don't know that 40+ years down the road they will even remember me, but I have recommited myself to helping these sweet 6 and 7 year old kids to get even just a glimpse of what I was able to get growing up. So writing this blog, I am sure some days I am going to have to come back and reread it, so that I can remember that even on the hard days, these kids are worth every minute.

3 comments:

  1. Those kids are lucky to have a teacher like you! I'm sure a lot of them will remember you in 40+ years! I couldn't agree more about Mom and Dad---they are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. We did it out of love and wanting all of you to achieve the great potential each of you are capable of reaching. I know you will make a huge difference in many of your students lives. I'm sure your students will always remember you as their best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Rose. This is a great post. I'm glad you feel this way- and you probably do not only because of your mom and Dad, but because you had good teachers along the way too. Those kids are lucky to have you, and lucky that you have lots to give. I'm glad you have so much patience for their sake, some of my early teachers were the best influences in my life, too.
    love you! miss you!
    xo

    ReplyDelete