Tuesday, April 26, 2011

How does that happen?

So I lost a kid yesterday... it was the worst moment I have ever had as a teacher, I think. The worst part is that in the commotion of coming back from recess, it took me a little while to realize he was missing! Ahh!! After checking the bathrooms, walking around inside and out of the school, many parent phone calls with no answer, talking to his big brother, and calling him repeatedly on the intercom, we were about to call the police. I was seriously about to have a panic attack. About 2 minutes before calling the police, we found him standing outside the school.

After many prompts with no response I finally got something out of him. His tummy was feeling funny so we decided to walk home. Seriously!? I couldn't believe it! Well, yesterday I was beating myself up about how I let that time go by before I realized he was missing... but today I realized something: Tender Mercies.

What if I would have realized he was missing 20 minutes earlier? If he walked all the way home and just got back when we were about to call the police, then we would have been calling the police without finding him. I am so glad it didn't have to come to having the police search the neighborhood to find him. I cannot imagine the stress that would have put him, his parents, me, the school, and my future career through!

Anyway, I feel like an absolute idiot. It is crazy how easily that can happen. I have learned my lesson, that is for sure! If your child is in my class in the future, don't worry... I won't let this happen again! Talk about a bad day.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry sis! That really stinks! I can only imagine how stressful that must have been! I too am grateful for tender mercies! Way to look at the glass half full! ;) Love you!

    ReplyDelete